Tampico is an NYC cocktail bar that specializes in tequila, mezcal and agave spirits. If you like tequila, you will fall in love with Mezcal! In fact, tequila is a kind of Mezcal.
Mezcal was first brewed in Central America almost 400 years ago, making it the New World’s first original spirit. A perfect partner for the most unique mezcal bar in NYC.
How to Drink Mezcal
There is no better place to drink mezcal than Tampico in NYC, but what is the best way to drink mezcal?
Like most spirits, purists say you should drink mezcal straight to get the true flavor. Smoky mezcal is a product of agave roasted over an open fire. Tequila, which we all love too, steams the agave plant.
A few tips for enjoying mezcal:
- Sip it, don’t shoot it. Mezcal is a spirit that is always meant to be sipped and enjoyed.
- Keep cleansing your palate. Use a fruit slice or crisp water to refresh your palate. Without cleansing, your taste will become dulled and you won’t get the flavor of the mezcal.
- Drink mezcal at room temperature. Chilling it will dull its more sensitive flavors.
As good as it is when sipped, mezcal also lends itself well to mixed drinks and cocktails. Tampico offers several cocktails made with mezcal that you are going to love!
- Tampico Spritz: The Tampico Spritz is a signature drink made with mezcal, prosecco, a scratch lemon juice and Italian aperitif.
- Mezcal Negroni: Mezcal, sweet vermouth and Campari come together to make a Mezcal Negroni.
- The Closing Argument: Close the conversation with The Closing Argument made with mezcal, green chartreuse, scratch lime juice and cherry liqueur.
If you are just discovering the delightful flavor of agave, Tampico has more than just tequila and mezcal! The Margaritas pack an agave punch! Our variety of Margaritas includes agave syrup, jalapeno infused agave and the agave fruit itself mixed with complimentary flavors like lime, orange and mint.
Mezcal Bar Meets Mexican Restaurant
It’s no secret that mezcal and mezcal based cocktails are delightful with Mexican food. Tampico’s menu is filled with foods that pair well with any agave spirit.
Mezcal has lots of sweet and spicy notes and pairs well with all of our dishes, but some combinations are more tried and true. Some of the most popular options include pairing Mezcal with the two cheese quesadilla, the fish or shrimp tacos or for the ultimate flavor enhancer, try mezcal with a Tam Dog!
Mezcal: The Archetypal Social Drink
Mezcal is meant to be enjoyed in good company. Drop in Tampico and spend an evening with friends enjoying your agave based drink of choice.
Drink your mezcal however you want. Neat, on the rocks, in a cocktail, with a worm salted rim, the choice is yours!
Experience the best mezcal and mezcal cocktails with great Mexican inspired food and all your favorite friends at Tampico Tequila Bar in NYC.